Hi, I wanted to share some feedback regarding the editor. It has most of the functionality needed, but there are many small things, some feel like bugs, some like UX problems, that make it frustrating to work with.
This is somewhat a long list. I don't mean to suggest that the product is bad or anything like that. I really like it. Just trying to give a thorough list so hopefully you can fix these issues.
- The floating toolbar below the text disturbs when you try to edit existing text. You can never see or touch the area below where the cursor is. One solution to that is to have a toolbar only when you select some text. And to "insert" a new block, use a non-intrusive "+" button on the left. Here's an example from editor.js
- You can't continue numbering after an image. This is why I have (1) on the left here. And you can't start a line with a number without making it auto-convert to auto-number. One trick that I use (which I learned from your content) is to use Header3 and then auto-numbering is not kicking in.
- You can't mark multiple lines and turn them all into numbered/bullet lines. You have to do that one-by-one.
- Moreover, If you add bullets/numbers to existing lines (and not by hitting Enter at the end of previous line) you get an extra space between the lines. The only way to get rid of it is by deleting the new-line (connecting both lines into one), and then re-separate them using Enter.
- It's very hard to select an image after it was added. You have to click above it and not on it.
- Trying to delete a line above or below the image deletes the image
- Bold and Italic are not working using the keyboard (cmd+B and cmd+I)
- Many other editing functions also have common keyboard shortcuts.
- Using both bold and italic on the same word, results with underscores wrapping the word. _like this_.
- After editing a selection (like bold or italic), the selection disappears. This means that if I want to have both italic and bold on the same word I have to select it, click bold, select again, click italic
- You can't add a new line after an image, markdown, or code block. You have to make sure you have an extra line before you add them
- The markdown mode is a good direction and could provide workaround for most of the issues raised here, for people who are used to it. However (1) you can't preview before you publish, (2) you can't switch to markdown mode again after you publish, (3) it is located in the toolbar next to other blocks. In my opinion, it has to be a global switch that you can change from md to wysiwyg, and not a block
- Not all markdown features are properly supported. H4, H5, H6 are not rendered as headers, tables are not styled (no grid lines), checklist is rendered as bullets. Would be nice to know what is supported and what is not.
- There's no save-without-publish. When you write a long post like documentation for something you may want to save and continue later. Would be nice to save-for-later